What is A Liver Cleanse?
Liver detox or cleanse refers to a step-by-step process that has been designed to eliminate from your body, toxic substances. This may help maintain body weight and can cause a major health improvement.
A liver detox may include using supplements, eating a healthy diet, avoiding certain food items, undertaking a juice cleanse, and much more.
What one must understand before going on a cleanse is that it will not magically solve liver disease or undo the damage caused by alcohol indulgence.
You can try out a liver cleanse but do so only after consulting your doctor. Be aware of the health risks associated with it and take steps accordingly.
What is Liver Disease?
Liver disease can be of many types. It can be caused by factors such as infections, genetics, obesity, and consumption of toxic substances like alcohol.
Liver disease usually may worsen over time and if left untreated it can cause liver failure. The liver performs the function of separating waste and nutrients.
It detoxifies your body and improves digestion. When your liver fails to perform these tasks smoothly, you may be diagnosed with liver disease.
Is Liver Disease Common?
30 million US citizens are diagnosed with some type of liver disease. About 5.5 million among these have cirrhosis or chronic liver disease. Some types of liver disease are linked to obesity.
As obesity in the US is on the rise, weight-related liver problems are escalating. About 20 to 30% of individuals are affected by non-alcohol-related fatty liver disease or NAFLD.
To answer the question, liver disease is a common, potentially dangerous health concern in the US.
Symptoms of Liver Disease
Some types of liver disease may have mild, non-noticeable symptoms or may be asymptomatic. This is typically the case for NAFLD.
Other types of liver disease may have some common symptoms that you can be on the lookout for:
Jaundice is one of the most common symptoms. It refers to a condition wherein your skin and eyes turn yellowish. When the liver is unable to eliminate a substance called bilirubin, this condition may develop.
- You may experience abdominal pain, typically on the right.
- You may bruise easily.
- The color of your urine and stools may change.
- You may experience fatigue.
- Nausea and vomiting may occur.
- Edema or swelling in arms and legs is another common symptom.
Preparing For The Liver Cleanse in Advance
It is important to engage in pre-planning before starting a diet food process so that it saves your body from shock. 5 days before starting your program, eliminate alcohol consumption, smoking, coffee, saturated fats, and refined sugars.
You should cut down on all sorts of processed foods. Consume more fibrous food. Drink 8 or more glasses of water a day.
Try to stay as stress-free as possible. Before you start your plan and during your plan, engage in exercise. Go on walks, bike rides, go for swims, or engage in yoga.
7-Day Liver Cleanse Diet
Breakfast: Before breakfast, you can start your day with warm lemon water. For breakfast, you can serve yourself some fresh vegetable juice. You can choose vegetables like carrots, celery, beetroot, mint, coriander, parsley, wheatgrass, kale, or spinach. For an additional power and fiber boost, add chia seeds to the juice. Avoid adding fruits as they may disturb blood sugar levels.
Lunch: Have some lightly steamed or raw vegetables. You can have mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, etc.
- Dinner: You can prepare a vegetable stew for dinner.
Breakfast: As recommended for day one, consume fresh vegetable juice blended with chia seeds. You can use different vegetables this time.
Lunch: Quinoa salad containing slightly cooked vegetables and baby spinach.
- Dinner: Vegetable stew containing stir-fried bell peppers, broccoli, lemon juice, and garlic. Prepare the recipe using olive oil.
Breakfast: Make yourself a fruit yogurt for day 3. To ¾ cup of yogurt, add fresh fruit slices. Garnish it with chia seeds, almonds, and walnuts. You can add honey as well.
Lunch: Lentil and vegetable stew can be eaten. You can use lentils that are easy to digest and can combine them with garlic, ginger, and other vegetables.
- Dinner: Prepare a raw papaya and carrot salad. You can add leafy greens and a light, healthy dressing to the salad and enjoy!
Breakfast: Make a coconut, or banana smoothie. You’ll need coconut milk, coconut oil, a banana, and chia seeds.
Lunch: Vegetable stew cooked with Quinoa or amaranth.
- Dinner: Lentil and vegetable mix.
Breakfast: Fresh vegetable juice with healthy veggies.
Lunch: Steamed veggies, topped with olive oil, fresh herbs, and pumpkin seeds. You can serve this with brown rice.
- Dinner: Rocket leaves salad, containing capsicum, mushrooms, and onions, some sunflower seeds. Garnish with herbs.
Breakfast: Prepare a fruit mixture consisting of dried peaches, apples, prunes, and apricots. Add flaxseeds, yogurt, and almonds.
Lunch: Vegetables and lentil combination, served with brown rice.
- Dinner: Papaya and carrot salad.
Breakfast: Coconut and banana drink
Lunch: Vegetable and lentil soup.
- Dinner: Green salad comprising grilled mushrooms, mashed sweet potato, and brown rice.
Benefits of Liver Cleanse:
The liver is an important organ that performs major functions. A liver cleanse will not help eliminate illnesses. It aims to support the liver and enhance the natural functions of your liver.
Following are the possible health benefits a liver cleanse may provide:
- It may help increase energy levels.
- It may help improve the health of your digestive system.
- It may help eliminate or manage inflammation.
- It can help reduce the damage caused by environmental stressors.
- It may help balance hormone levels.
- It may help eliminate fat.
- It may help improve cellular health.
- It may help eliminate wrinkles, dark circles, and acne and may promote healthier-looking skin.
Avoid These Eating Habits
- Do not consume soft drinks or sugary beverages. Along with alcohol these also cause damage to your liver.
- Certain sauces like ketchup and mustard are to be avoided. They too possess large quantities of added sugar.
- Store-bought frozen French fries are high in saturated fats and must be avoided.
- Vegetable oils are to be discarded.
Though liver detox or cleanse does not help eliminate liver problems, they may be beneficial for strengthening the liver when it is already functioning efficiently. It is however important to consult your healthcare professional first.