What is Celsius?
Celsius is a commonly used energy drink that contains a unique blend of vitamins and other essential ingredients. Celsius is a go-to pre-workout drink for many individuals and usually contains no sugar or other harmful substances.
Let’s take a look at what the drink is and the impact of the drink on your health and well-being.
What is Celsius drink?
Celsius drink is usually created using different ingredients to provide your body with essential vitamins and minerals to improve performance while you work out.
According to the creators of Celsius, there are no calories and these drinks are extremely beneficial for individuals seeking to lose weight.
Celsius is usually available in 5 distinct types of formulations. The original drink contains ingredients like Green Tea, Guarana, Ginger Root, Vitamin B And C, and much more.
However, being a zero-calorie drink it is obvious that it may contain additives like sugar substitutes that can be a problem for individuals with gut health issues, food allergies, or other sensitivities.
Hence, it is important to note that even though these drinks may be zero calories, they contain sugar substitutes and other substances to add sweetness to the drinks.
Hence, individuals must use them carefully after making sure that they are not allergic to these sugar substitutes.
What are the products available on the Celsius website?
You can find an array of drink choices that can be used as energy drinks by individuals who work out or are looking for weight loss support. Here are different Celsius drinks that you must know about:
- is The original Celsius drink available in several flavors and contains ingredients like green Tea Extract, Guarana Seed Extract, Ginger Root, Chromium, And Vitamin B&C. It has been created to provide individuals with high levels of energy and to boost calorie-burning processes.
Celsius Heat is another product available on their website. The only difference between the original Celsius drink and Celsius Heat is that it contains L-Citrulline instead of chromium. This drink is available in 7 different flavors and has been created to boost physical performance and improve energy levels.
Celsius Stevia contains stevia instead of chromium and is the no-calorie drink available in their range of products.
- Celsius BCCA is another drink that contains key amino acids, Tart cherry, Electrolytes, and Vitamin D3. The product is available in 3 flavors and has been created to improve recovery after physical activity.
You may also find other products on their website that aim at improving performance and recovery after physical activities.
Does Celsius Affect The Health of Your Liver?
Energy drinks contain caffeine which is why they provide a boost to your energy levels. Like any other energy drink, Celsius also contains caffeine which may vary depending on the drink you choose.
Consumption of caffeine has several pros and cons and may affect different individuals in different ways. Caffeine consumption is safe until individuals overuse it or exceed the amount suggested for daily use. A 500 ml can of Celsius may contain up to 200 mg of caffeine.
Hence, using a single can of the drink may be beneficial to improve your performance and energy levels.
However, using several cans a day can affect your health and cause the side effects of overuse of caffeine that many people experience. Hepatotoxicity has been confirmed in individuals who overuse caffeine drinks.
Hepatotoxicity, also known as liver damage can be one of the side effects of using energy drinks over the limit. Research suggests that caffeine-rich energy drinks may cause liver injury, however, the results were not clear.
The findings and claim of hepatotoxicity due to Celsius are absent or not enough to conclude that caffeine present in energy drinks is the root cause of hepatotoxicity.
These findings can also be attributed to the different components present in energy drinks and not caffeine alone. Hence, there is no clear evidence of the possibility of liver injury induced by caffeine use.
Hence it is safe to say that Celsius may not cause hepatotoxicity or liver damage and may be safe to use daily.
Here are Some of the Risks of Using Celsius Drinks in Excessive Amounts:
- It increases the risk of fatty liver disease as it may contain high levels of sugar which is one of the greatest contributors to fatty liver disease. Consuming Celsius drinks in excessive amounts can increase inflammation, and scarring, and can cause impairing liver functions.
- Liver toxicity can also occur as a result of a combination of caffeine and other stimulants present in Celsius drinks. This can put the liver under stress making it hard for the liver to metabolise the substances present in this drink. Over time this may lead to liver toxicity or damage.
- It also increases the risk of interference with other medicines. Consuming medications along with Celsius can interfere with the effectiveness of these medications. This in turn can affect the ability of your liver to metabolise drugs, caffeine, and other stimulants present in the drink leading to stress on the liver and other complications.
Tips to Protect Your Liver Health
- Limit your consumption, that is, limit the amount of drinks you have in a day. You can also switch to different types of herbal teas or mineral water to keep yourself hydrated and energetic at all times.
- Maintaining a balanced diet is one of the most important steps that you need to take to protect your liver. Adding foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, as well as lean proteins has also been found beneficial to maintain the health of your liver and reverse the damage.
- Drinking an adequate amount of water throughout the day is also important as the liver excretes toxins through the urine. Hence, drinking a lot of water can help and support the liver in its detoxification process.
- Keep a check on your overall health and make sure that the liver functions are intact. Several tests and methods of assessment are available to make sure that the liver functions are healthy and it can also help you detect potential issues in an early stage.
Overuse of any substance or drink can cause damage to the liver as well as other organs in the body. Hence, it is important to observe moderation while using drinks like Celsius as they contain high amounts of caffeine in it. And use some liver support supplements to keep your liver healthy.
Finally, there have been no links found between Celsius and liver damage in healthy individuals who consumed the drink in moderate amounts. Hence, it is safe to use Celsius in moderation as it doesn’t cause any effects on your liver.