Is Kratom Bad For Your Liver?
Kratom is extracted from the leaves of a tree native to Southeast Asia which are used for the chemicals that it contains. The tree has several medicinal uses and has been used for several decades for treating various health issues.
The question is are there risk factors related to the liver? And is the use of Kratom safe for individuals?
Let’s get started by understanding a little more about Kratom and how it impacts the health of individuals.
What is Kratom?
Kratom is derived from a tropical tree that is found in southeast Asia. It has been used for decades as an herbal medication to treat pain and other health conditions.
The leaves of the plant contain various psychoactive alkaloids and other important components that help to treat different types of health conditions.
Additionally, the use of Kratom has become popular and is widely available in the form of herbal products around the world. Let's take a look at the different uses of Kratom.
What are the uses of Kratom?
Kratom is used for several health benefits that it provides. The medicinal properties of this extract from a tropical Evergreen tree make it a great herbal medicine which is why it has been used for decades.
Here are some of the uses of this powerful health supplement:
- It has pain-relieving effects. Kratom has been used for several decades as a pain reliever for individuals who experience musculoskeletal pain. It is also used for individuals who experience chronic pain in the joints and other parts of the body.
- Kratom is also used as a psychoactive drug and as a recreational drug to improve alertness, talkativeness, and sociability.
- People who have previously used drugs like heroin, morphine, and other opioid drugs also use Kratom to help deal with withdrawal symptoms.
- Kratom is also used for treating anxiety, depression, and other similar conditions due to its psychoactive properties.
- Finally, it has also been used for treating health issues like diarrhea and cough.
What are the risk factors of using Kratom?
Like other medicinal herbs and drugs, Kratom has its risk factors. Usually, individuals take this drug under prescription, and it has cannabis-like effects on their health.
Health supplements created in laboratories and used in other ways are known to have risk factors.
Here are some of the risk factors of using Kratom:
- High doses of the drug can cause side effects like agitation, and hypertension, and create situations of confusion.
- Reports suggest that an overdose of Kratom has severe risk factors including coma, seizures, or even death in worst-case scenarios.
- Reports of individuals experiencing respiratory depression, hallucinations, delusion, aggression, insomnia, vomiting, and withdrawal have also been found.
Due to such risk factors, Kratom use has been banned in several states and countries. Hence, individuals must make sure to use the drug under supervision and not use it without a prescription.
Does Kratom affect the health of your liver?
We have reviewed the different risk factors of using the drug called Kratom. The question arises, Does the use of Kratom affect the health of your liver?
Kratom is a medicinal drug that is used for treating several health conditions and has psychoactive properties.
Even though it is used to treat various health conditions, there are several risk factors associated with its use and hence it is important to stay alert while using the drug.
Hepatotoxicity has been reported as one of the risk factors of using Kratom. Hepatotoxicity in simple terms, is referred to as liver damage caused by the use of different health supplements or medicinal drugs.
However, instances of hepatotoxicity by using Kratom are rare. Liver damage has been found to occur in individuals who have been using the tablets daily for one to eight weeks.
Here are some of the complications that individuals using this drug can experience:
- Acute liver failure has been associated with ingestion of large amounts of Kratom.
- The use of Kratom over a certain duration has been associated with liver injury and toxicity when the dose is normal.
- A normal dosage of Kratom for a prolonged period can also cause an elevation in liver enzymes which in turn can lead to liver failure.
Hence, hepatotoxicity is one of the biggest risk factors of using Kratom tablets or using health supplements that contain this ingredient.
How does one understand if Kratom use has affected their liver?
It is easy to understand when a drug is affecting your internal organs as the body gives certain symptoms. Here's how one can tell if the use of Kratom has affected the health of their liver:
- Experiencing symptoms of liver damage include jaundice where the skin color and the color of the white mucal region of the eyes change to pale yellow.
- Feeling fatigued is another common symptom of problems with the liver.
- Dark urine,
- Vomiting and nausea,
- Itchy skin,
- Swelling in the legs, ankles, and feet.
These are some common symptoms that you need to keep a watch for if you are using Kratom daily. It is also important to consult your doctor before using health supplements such as Kratom has several risk factors including liver damage.
Tips to protect your liver while using Kratom
Practicing the safe use of drugs like Kratom is extremely crucial as it has several side effects. Hence it is important to take precautions while using Kratom.
Here are some of the practices you can follow to reduce the risk of side effects caused by Kratom:
- Make sure to consult a doctor before you add the supplement for liver health to your routine.
- Individuals with pre-existing liver health conditions must avoid the use of this drug as it may worsen the condition.
- One must keep a watch on their health and make sure that they do not have symptoms of liver damage while using the drug.
- Make sure to follow the dosage guidelines provided by your healthcare provider and do not use it in excessive amounts at a time.
- Maintain a healthy diet, eat foods, and drink water and juices that support the health and functions of the liver.
Research suggests that Kratom use can cause hepatotoxicity which is the form of liver damage. While the causes may be unknown, it is important to use the drug under supervision and in recommended dosages only.
If you start experiencing side effects of the drug make sure to consult a doctor immediately.
Finally, keep your health in check and follow a healthy lifestyle to keep your liver healthy.
Bottom Line: Kratom use does affect the liver when dosage guidelines are not followed.
Read More Related Topics: